Royal Enfield 1913 6 HP “Model 180“ 770 cc JAP side valve V –twin combination frame # 6065 engine # 34614
The Redditch based Royal Enfield firm entered the motorcycle business as early as 1898:
In the early days engines from De Dion powered their tricycles and quadricycles; Minerva supplied the power for the first motorized cycles.
By 1904 the firm was concentrating on car production, resuming motorcycle manufacture in 1910 with a 2¼hp v-twin Motosacoche-powered lightweight.
A 2¾hp version with two-speed gear and all-chain drive followed.
These machines were equipped with the famous Enfield two-speed gear, involving twin primary chains.
In the rear wheel hub a rubber cush drive was fitted to take the punch out of the chaindrive.
This feature was to be incorporated into all Royal Enfields until the very end.
The famous JAP v-twin-engined 6 HP sidecar outfit joined the range for 1912 and remained practically unchanged for 1913.
It is fitted with Enfield two speed gear, Bosch magneto and AMAC carburetor.
The buyer had a choice between a coach built sidecar and one with a cane body.
This sturdy and reliable combination is also practical for use in veteran rallies because the former owner replaced the ornamental front wheel brake by an internal expanding one which is sure to give rider and passenger a more secure feeling.
The original front hub and brake components have been retained.
Accessories include P&H acetylene lamp and horn and Veigel speedometer.