Simplex 1919 model “P.M. 2 ½ HP” 300cc IOE MAG single frame # 30077 engine # 1 C 12 No 57560
Simplex and Eysink were the two major motorcycle factories in The Netherlands in times gone by.
Both companies built their reputations on the production of quality bicycles and diverted into motorcycle production in the early 1900s.
The Simplex Automatic machine Company was founded in 1887 and was in fact a continuation of the Simplex Weighing Machine Company. The new company took up premises in Utrecht and focused on products for the bicycle trade.
It soon started to produce complete bicycles.
In 1897 a new factory, equipped with the latest production machines from America, was opened in Amsterdam.
The First Simplex motorcycle of 1902 was powered by a Minerva engine, from 1904 Fafnir engines were built in.
During World War 1 a switch was made to Swiss MAG engines.
These engines were used in the popular “P.V” ( twin) and “P.M.” (single) model range with its stylish tapered tank shape.
The “P.M.” was first brought out in 1917 as a 250 cc model, after the war also a 300 cc version became available.
The 64 x 92 mm MAG engine has typical longstroke specifications.
This “P.M.” is a basic machine with direct belt drive and neither clutch nor gears.
It is equipped with quality proprietary parts such as Druid forks, Bosch magneto , Brooks B 70 saddle and Amac carburettor.
The acetylene lighting system is a Lucas product.
Note the practical aluminium footboards with cast in “Simplex” name.
This rare Simplex has been restored with great care.