Triumph 1916 549 cc Model “H”
The model H is announced late in 1914 as a logical development of the famous veteran “Trusty”.
But it isn’t just a 1914 model with a countershaft gearbox: the engine differs from the veteran engine in various ways.
It has a single cam wheel with 2 cams instead of separate cam wheels for the inlet and exhaust valve.
The casting for the cylinder is entirely new, the valve head diameter is enlarged by ¼ inch and the valves are spaced further apart. A great improvement over the 1914 style 3-speed hub is the Sturmey Archer countershaft gearbox.
The primary chain drive is enclosed by a neat aluminium cover; secondary drive is by belt.
The new model becomes available in February 1915 and most of the production goes to the British Armed forces; in 1918 the army has just over 17,000 Model H’s. It is not until 1919 that the Model H is again available, in very small numbers, for the civilian market and many ex- army machines are sold off at surplus sales at Slough.
A large number of machines are overhauled by the factory for resale in 1919 through 1921. ( source: Peter Cornelius)
The Powell & Hanmer acetylene lighting system bears the correct “WD” ( War Department) stamp and the machine runs like an “H” should.
For detailed information on the Model “H” consult Peter Cornelius’ “The Facts” booklet, surf to http://users.actrix.co.nz/cornelius/Triumph/