TRIUMPH 1939 T100 500CC 2 CYL OHV 3205
Triumph 1939 “ Tiger 100 “ 498 cc OHV vertical twin frame# TF3143 engine# 9-T100 16908
In 1936 the Triumph Cycle Co., that had been struggling for a number of years, was taken over by Jack Sangster and renamed Triumph Engineering Co.Ltd. Edward Turner became the new Works Manager and he immediately started to rationalize things: he reduced the range of machines, but kept the excellent bottom end designs of the Page designed singles.
The “Tiger” range was introduced in September 1936 for the 1937 model year. There were three models: the 250 cc T 70, the 350 cc T80 and the 500 cc T 90. Apart from the bottom ends, everything was new. There was a new, compact gearbox and a new, enclosed valve mechanism. The brakes were improved and the oil pump was given a larger capacity. The machines had compact frames and silver and blue enameled tanks with chrome panels. Attention to styling was always a strong point with Turner: the Tigers looked good and they were good and this new range of machines helped Triumph back to the top. In September 1937 the range was expanded by a revolutionary new design, the “Speed Twin”. The press was elated: the machine was relatively light, handled and steered excellently, was very powerful and not overpriced. And it was good looking too, in its dark red “Amaranth” color setting: the “Speed Twin “ would become the first of many successful Triumph twin models. But there was still better news on its way: for 1939 a super-tuned brother of the Speed Twin was introduced, to replace the 500 cc single T 90. The machine looked fine in its “Silver Sheen” livery and its performance was outstanding: 34 HP @ 7,000 rpm with a compression ratio of 7.75:1, a top speed of more than 160 kph and a petrol tank capacity of some 18 litres.
The T100 was standard fitted with open megaphone type exhaust with quickly detachable end portion that incorporated baffles and a tail pipe.
This iconic and road-registered prewar Triumph is fitted with extras such as bronze cylinder heads and valanced mudguards that could be ordered on export models. The machine has been converted to 12 Volt with practical and safe LED lighting front and rear and electronic CV control hidden in the original housing. There’s a practical side stand on board. The full restoration was finished a couple of years ago and there are some accompanying bills for work carried out; she runs beautifully. Since restoration she has been on display in the former owner’s house and hasn’t been ridden.