Wanderer 1920 “2 ½ PS” 327 cc side valve single frame # 49257 engine # 28124
Wanderer motor cycles were manufactured in the German town of Chemnitz between 1902 and 1929.
The Wanderer Company also built high-quality bicycles, typewriters, mechanical calculators and cars.
In the early twenties, the firm employed more than 6000 labourers. Wanderer motorcycles had an excellent reputation; they were sturdily built and their finish was first class. Between 1914 and 1918 the German army used many Wanderers.
The company used both single cylinder and unit construction V-twin engines of their own manufacture.
In the twenties Wanderer was successful in racing, especially with their 8-valve OHV V-twin.
In 1929 the Czech manufacturer of arms Janecek bought the licence of the Wanderer design and started producing motorcycles under the JAWA ( Janecek and Wanderer) trademark.
After the Great War the company brought out two types of machine, the 327 cc single “2 ½ PS” and the 616 cc V-twin “4 ½ PS”.
The 2 ½ PS was a further development of the 1914 2 PS machine, which now got a three speed countershaft gearbox in unit with the engine. Both chain and belt drive were available.
This example has chain drive and a sprung seat post; it’s a finely restored specimen that comes fitted with a “ Schmitt Mannheim” acetylene lighting System.