Zundapp 1934 K 500 498 cc transverse twin side valve frame# 2901 engine#162751
The Zündapp story began in 1917.
The Nuremberg firm was founded by Dr. Fritz Neumeyer and Friedrich Krupp.
The early models were 211 and 246 cc two strokes that quickly earned a reputation for economy and reliability.
In 1930 the first four stroke model was brought out, powered by a British Rudge Python engine.
In 1933 it was announced that 100,000 Zundapps had been produced.
At the 1933 Berlin show the new K series ( K standing for Kardan or shaft drive ) was introduced.
The range was designed by the famous Richard and Xaver Kuchen and it consisted of two stroke and four stroke models which all had pressed steel frames and shaft drive.
From this new range especially the K 500 transverse twin and K 800 transverse four were very successful: more than 15,000 K 500s were built between 1933 and 1939.
Many were used as sidecar machines with the German army.
The 498 cc twin produces 16 HP @ 4800 RPM
It has a hand change 4 speed gearbox, which contains a separate chain for each of the speeds.
Weight is about 180 kilograms, top speed some 100 km/h.
This robust and practical machine is an older restoration .