Aermacchi 1962 Ala Verde 246cc 1cyl OHV  3309

6,500.00

Description

Aermacchi 1962   Ala Verde 246cc OHV  frame # 222147 engine # 222494

Aermacchi originally was an Italian aircraft manufacturer. Formerly known as Aeronautica Macchi, the company was founded in 1912 by Giulio Macchi at Varese in north-western Lombardy as Nieuport-Macchi, to build Nieuport monoplanes under license for the Italian military. After World War II, the company began producing utility three-wheelers and motorcycles as a way to fill the post-war need for cheap, efficient transportation. Aermacchi’s first ‘proper’ motorcycle, the two-stroke Monsone, appears in 1950, but it is not until 1956 that the firm’s trademark horizontally mounted four-stroke single makes its debut in the 175cc enclosed bodywork Chimera. In 1959 a more conventional sporting version comes on the market in the form of the 246cc  “Ala Verde”, meaning “Green Wing”.  It is designed by Aermacchi’s chief engineer, Alfredo Bianchi. The pushrod OHV engine has a cylinder that is positioned at 165 degrees, a four speed gearbox (later a five speed box was fitted) and a multiple wet clutch. Bore and stroke are initially 66×72 mm. The Ala Verde stays in production with various upgrades till 1972, when it is replaced by the 350cc TV. The engine has a power output of 16hp@6,500rpm, good for a top speed of 130km. The Ala Verde becomes a popular machine with amateur racers; she is light and has a frisky engine and because of her low centre of gravity she has excellent roadholding qualities.

This Ala Verde  is fitted with clipon handlebars,  Radaelli buddy seat  and 160 km/h  Veglia Borletti speedometer. She is a well-restored specimen that has been part of a static collection for quite some time so she will benefit from a good check-over.