AJS 1926 Model G 8 498 cc OHV single frame# G 8 8448 engine# G 8 8449
The four Stevens brothers had been in motorcycle manufacturing since the final years of the 19th century, but only in 1911 their first complete “AJS” motorcycle, a 298 cc two speeder, was marketed.
For the 1912 season their first V- twin, the model D, was brought out. In the 1914 Junior TT a magnificent first and second place was scored.
The 350 cc AJS OHV machines from the twenties got their nickname “bigport” from the enormous size of the exhaust port and pipe. Between 1920 and 1922 AJS was very successful in racing with 350cc ohv machines; their catalogued models then were all side valve machines.
For the 1923 season the ohv concept was first used for a customer model; its official name was the “2 ¾ hp three speed Overhead Valve T.T. model”, but unofficially it immediately became the “Big Port” Ajay.
From 1925 on prefixes were used to the numbering system: E=1925, G=1926, H=1927 K= 1928. The 500cc OHV model was introduced for the 1925 TT races; it made a big impression by making the fastest lap in history ( till then that is) at a speed of 68.97 mph.
It was first catalogued for the 1926 season as the Model G 8.
Bore and stroke dimensions are 84×90 mm, carburettor is Binks with twist grip control and a Lucas magneto provides the spark.
The cylinder head is detachable and lubrication is by mechanical oil pump and auxiliary hand pump.
This machine is offered in well restored condition .