AJS 1927 Model H 1 799 cc side valve v-twin frame# H 60440 engine# 60440
The four Stevens brothers had been in motorcycle manufacturing since the final years of the 19th century, but only in 1911 their first complete “AJS” motorcycle, a 298 cc two speeder, was marketed.
For the 1912 season their first V- twin, the model D, was brought out. In the 1914 Junior TT a magnificent first and second place was scored.
From 1925 on prefixes were used to the numbering system: E=1925, G=1926, H=1927 K= 1928.
The 500cc OHV model was introduced for the 1925 TT races; it made a big impression by making the fastest lap in history ( till then that is) at a speed of 68.97 mph.
It was first catalogued for the 1926 season as the Model G 8.
For 1927 eight models were catalogued, ranging from a 350 cc side valve to a 799 cc V- twin.
New for 1927 was that all models got roller bearings to the main shaft and an improved type of gate change quadrant and lever.
This machine is an older restoration that is fitted with Lucas electric lighting.