AJS ca 1928 Model K 6 349 cc OHV single frame & engine # K 102540
The four Stevens brothers had been in motorcycle manufacturing since the final years of the 19th century, but only in 1911 their first complete “AJS” motorcycle, a 298 cc two speeder, was marketed. For the 1912 season their first V- twin, the model D, was brought out. In the 1914 Junior TT a magnificent first and second place was scored.
The 350 cc AJS OHV machines from the twenties got their nickname “bigport” from the enormous size of the exhaust port and pipe. Between 1920 and 1922 AJS was very successful in racing with 350cc ohv machines; their catalogued models then were all side valve machines. For the 1923 season the ohv concept was first used for a customer model; its official name was the “2 ¾ hp three speed Overhead valve T.T. model”, but unofficially it immediately became the “Big Port” Ajay. From 1925 on prefixes were used to the numbering system: E=1925, G=1926, H=1927 K= 1928. This single port machine is an older restoration; it is equipped with Brampton front forks and has a complete electric lighting system with Bosch magdyno.