AJS 1928 Model K 9 498 cc side valve single frame# 99825 engine# K9/99825
The four Stevens brothers had been in motorcycle manufacturing since the final years of the 19th century, but only in 1911 their first complete “AJS” motorcycle, a 298 cc two speeder, was marketed.
For the 1912 season their first V- twin, the model D, was brought out. In the 1914 Junior TT a magnificent first and second place was scored.
From 1925 on prefixes were used to the numbering system: E=1925, G=1926, H=1927 K= 1928.
The 500cc sv model had been introduced only a few years earlier: for many years the AJS range had consisted only of 350 cc singles and 800 V-twins. For 1928 no less than eleven models were catalogued, ranging from a 250 cc side valve to a 799 cc V- twin.
Bore and stroke dimensions are 84×90 mm, carburettor is Binks with twist grip control and a Bosch magdyno provides the spark and the lighting.
Lubrication is by mechanical oil pump and auxiliary hand pump.
This machine is a well-detailed older restoration that comes complete with Smiths speedometer.