Alcyon 1906 ca “2 HP légère“ 247 cc AIV frame # 51117 engine # 3737
The firm was founded at Neuilly-sur-Seine by Edmond Gentil in January 1903 to manufacture bicycles and bicycle accessories. Gentil had held positions with Peugeot and Griffon before. The name “Alcyon” refers to the mythical bird “Halcyon” of Greek legend which is now known as the Kingfisher bird famous for its colourful plumage and long beak. That first year some 3,000 bicycles were produced, in 1909 this number had grown to 40,000. Production was also taken up in the town of Courbevoie and already in 1904 the factory assembled its first motorcycle. It was equipped with a Swiss Zédel engine, from the firm of Zurcher & Luthi in St. Aubin.
In 1906 a Zédel factory was opened in la Ferrière-sur-Jougne in France and one year later the Swiss factory closed. Soon after that the French Zédel factory was brought under the complete control of Alcyon. Subsequently most Alcyon motorcycles would be equipped with Zédel or Zurcher engines. In the early twenties several makes were taken over, such as Labor, Thomann, Française Diamant and Olympique. After 1945 mostly light motorcycles, scooters and mopeds were produced till the giant Peugeot took over in 1954.
This sweet little machine was the lightest model in the range, fitted with a 247 cc 67×70 engine. She still proudly wears her original finish and has direct belt drive and battery and coil ignition. The petrol tank holds five litres, the oil tank one litre. With its 24-inch wheels and weight of 40 kg this certainly is a practical and manageable veteran. She comes with “Solar” acetylene lighting, “R.E.C.” saddle and front wheel suspension.