Bat 1912 “8 HP” 1000 cc sidevalve V-twin combination frame # 658 engine # 10499
The company was started in 1902 by S.R. Batson in Kingswood Road, Penge, a district of South East London.
The first Bats were fitted with sturdy De Dion Bouton engines which were positioned vertically in the frame.
This showed foresight at a time when many manufacturers still clipped their engines to the frame tubes.
By 1904 the business was sold to Theodore and Sidney Tessier, who went on to promote the make by taking part in speed contests.
Until 1912 both twins and single cylinder models were produced but by 1912 solely V-twin JAP engines were employed.
Typical Bat features were a sprung saddle and footboards and a shaft driven magneto that was positioned high and dry.
After the Great War Bat got into difficulties; a merger with Martinsyde resulted in the Bat- Martinsyde but that didn’t save the company.
For more Bat information: see David Earnshaw’s article in “Old Bike “ issue 16.
This sturdy and luxurious combination is equipped with ROC two speed gear and is an older restoration.