BMW 1927 R42 500cc 2 cyl sv 2808
BMW 1927 R 42 494 cc side valve transverse twin frame#12440 engine# 41591
The first BMW, the 500 cc side valve R 32, was marketed in 1923. 3100 machines were built.
Two years later an OHV version was brought out, the R 37. This machine had the smallest production run of all commercially produced models in the company’s motorcycling history: only 175 were produced. In 1926 the R 42 saw the light: it was based on the R 32 but some modifications had made it faster and more practical: the brakes were improved and the engine got light alloy removable cylinder heads.
Power was still modest at 12 HP @ 3400 RPM.
The machine was relatively light with 126 kg and the maximum speed was about 95 km/h.Petrol consumption, claimed the makers, was about 3.5 litres per 100 km.
The company marketed the R 42 as a touring machine, its OHV brother the R 47 that was produced in 1927/1928 was the sports version.
Specifications were, as could be expected from BMW, top of the range.
Ignition and lighting were taken care of by Bosch, a Veigel speedometer was a standard fitting and the finish was first class overall.
The R 42 had a production run of three years and some 6900 machines were built.
The BMW is a nice restored machine .