BSA 1914 550 cc chain-cum-belt side valve single frame 9185 engine 9407
BSA entered the motor cycle market with a sturdy 3 ½ HP belt driven single geared machine, that was displayed at the 1910 Olympia show.
It was constructed almost entirely from BSA- made components and was produced from the company’s Redditch factory.
Within six months from their launching, BSA’s were selling well.
The machines were easily distinguishable among rival makes by their yellow and green painted tanks.
For 1914 there was a choice between the 85×88 3 ½ HP model and the 85×98 4 ¼ HP model.
This latter machine was offered as being especially suitable for sidecar work.
It also had a newly developed 3 speed BSA gearbox with foot controlled clutch and a double barrel BSA carburettor.
Both models could be had in all chain drive with encased chains, or chain-cum-belt as this machine has: the belt pulley has tangential spokes to enhance strength.
The 3 ½ HP could also be had with hub gear, free engine clutch or direct drive catalogued as “TT model” .
This practical veteran BSA is in nicely restored condition.