Douglas 1920 2 ¾ HP Model WD 2 speed 348 cc SV flat twin frame & engine # 46205
This Bristol-based firm developed the horizontally opposed fore-aft unit in about 1907 and continued utilizing this engine layout well into the thirties.
The earliest Douglas models had direct belt drive, but in 1910 a two-speed gearbox was added, with the control on top of the petrol tank. Douglas machines became very popular because of their lightness, ease of starting and speed: in the 1912 Junior TT races Douglas took first, second and fourth places.
In the First World War thousands of 2 ¾ HP machines were commissioned for use by despatch riders and performed splendidly; the first years after the war only detail changes were made, a notable change for the 1920 season being a new frame layout to accommodate for wider mudguards and to give greater wheel clearance.
Attention to front fork design had resulted in an improved method of adjustment and lubrication and a stronger construction.
1920 was also the first year that the petrol tank had rounded edges.
This Douglas has been carefully restored a number of years ago.