Douglas 1927 Model E.W. 348 cc SV flat twin frame # 17587 engine # YE 188900
This Bristol-based firm developed the horizontally opposed fore-aft unit in about 1907 and continued utilizing this engine layout well into the thirties.
The earliest Douglas models had direct belt drive, but in 1910 a two-speed gearbox was added, with the control on top of the petrol tank. Douglas machines became very popular because of their lightness, ease of starting and speed: in the 1912 Junior TT races Douglas took first, second and fourth places.
In the First World War thousands of 2 ¾ HP machines were commissioned for use by despatch riders and performed splendidly.
In 1925 the new E.W model was introduced; the engine was updated and the cycle parts were modernized, the main new feature being the attractive sloping petrol tank that replaced the flat parallel one used for so many years.
The gear change lever of the 3-speed gearbox was now operated through a slot in the tank.
The famous Douglas silver with blue panels colour scheme was retained and the new model attracted much attention at the Motor Cycle Show, another attractive feature being its modest price of £ 45.
The E.W. was immediately popular and continued with modifications for several years.
This E.W is in nicely restored condition.