Douglas 1933 S6 “Greyhound” 596cc side valve flat twin frame # YF 1616 engine # EQ 1579
It is at the 1929 Olympia Show that the new S5 (500cc ) and S6 (600cc)models make their appearance.
Designed by Freddy Dixon, these are undoubtedly the most silent and flexible motorcycles available at this time.
The whole design concept is bristling with new ideas, even to the extent of following car design in certain aspects.
|Who else can virtually guarantee a minimum of two years’ service without need for replacements?
These are the “Dixon Douglas” models, with which his name will forever be linked. For the first time a dry sump lubrication system is employed, without recourse to any external pipes.
Very long valve guides are fitted to the cylinder barrels and the cylinder heads are detachable, above the valve seatings.
Very long tappet guides are also used and all the valve gear is completely enclosed behind finned tappet covers.
The induction system is cast-in with the timing cover to ensure the necessary warmth after a cold start.
A B.T.H. “pancake” dynamo, mounted immediately above the induction system, operates the lighting circuit.
The dynamo is driven by gearing from the crankshaft and is specially made for the Douglas range.
The 600 cc model has bore and stroke dimensions of 68x82mm. (source: Jeff Clew, “The best Twin”)
For the 1931 and 1932 model years the S 5 and S 6 are improved in a number of details and get other model codes and for the 1933 model year the company decides to use dogs’ names for some of the models: the 500cc sv becomes the “Bulldog” and the 600cc sv the “Greyhound” .
These 1933 models were already announced in the summer of 1932; Mick Walker remarks in his book “Douglas, the complete story” that because of the financial problems in the company “from the end of 1932 until well into 1933 production was virtually at a standstill, with very few of the 1933 models actually manufactured.
In fact, during the same period certain London dealers had been advertising several brand new 1932 models with significant discounts.” As 1933 was a distressful year for the company production of Douglas machines was very limited.
Only a few machines of this type are known to exist.
This particular machine was first registered on August 18, 1933 as “cycle and sidecar” with registration HC 6634 in the Eastbourne area.
She has been restored and is in excellent overall condition