Excelsior ca. 1918 3 speed IOE 974 cc V-twin engine # 101935 frame #20809
The Excelsior Supply Company of Chicago started producing motorcycles with its own single cylinder engine in 1908.
Some years later the firm became part of Ignaz Schwinn’s bicycle empire.
In the years around 1915 the production models ranged from a 269 cc two stroke single Baby Triumph look-alike to big 1000 cc V-twins.
This machine is an example of the 974 cc twin, with bore and stroke dimensions of 84×88 mm.
It has a three speed gearbox and a foot operated clutch. the seat post is sprung for extra comfort.
Ignition is the best there was at the time: Bosch.