FN 1907 498 cc four cylinder overhead inlet valves frame# 17220
To many enthusiasts the FN four has always been one of the most appealing machines of veteran and vintage times. Its production ran from 1905 till 1926.
The earliest type had a 362 cc engine with automatic overhead inlet valves and side exhaust valves. The machine was single geared, had shaft drive and the top speed was about 60 km/hour.
The FN four was an immediate success and found customers all over the world; FN sold its machines in more than 40 countries.
It found many customers in the U.S.A. and made Americans interested in the four cylinder concept: Percy Pierce purchased a 1908 model on one of his trips to Europe and the FN became a point of reference for the first Pierce Four in 1909.
The engine was redesigned for 1910. New cylinders had twelve fins rather than eleven, the bore was increased to 52.7 mm to give 498 cc, and the exhaust pipes were now attached with two bolts to a flange in contrast to the earlier screw-on pattern.
The spark plugs were moved from the top of the cylinders to the right side between the valves.
The inlet manifold was substantially revised to site the new carburettor at the left of the engine between cylinders two and three.
There was also a new oiling system.
The only major change to the cycle parts was a long rebound spring on top of the front fork.
This very early Four spent its life in Australia and was restored around 1980.
Since the original engine was beyond repair the machine was fitted with a 1910-type engine and with a practical clutch.
Accessories include a “Watford-FN” speedometer, bulb horn and Hermann Riemann “Germania” acetylene lamp.
The latter bears a notable brass plate quoting “Made in Germany, expressly for Brandt Brothers Melbourne & Sydney”.