FN 1909 “ Légère ” 247cc side valve frame # 31228 engine # 1526
The first FN single with shaft drive was presented at the Brussels Show in January 1909. It was quite an innovative little machine with bore and stroke dimensions of 65x75mm giving a capacity of 247cc. The specifications included a cone clutch and a two speed gearbox. Weight of the machine was 65 kgs and the fuel consumption was less than 3 litres per 100 kms. This light single became a popular seller next to the FN four cylinder model.In 1910 a multiple plate clutch was fitted and in 1912 the capacity was enlarged to 285cc. The frame was also changed, resulting in a longer and lower machine. In 1913 the pedaling chain was discarded and a kick-starter was added. When production was resumed after the war the side –by- side valve concept was changed to inlet-over exhaust. Production ended in 1923.
This technically interesting and easy to ride veteran lightweight has been restored in the past and was used in vintage motorcycle rallies up to 2015. An interesting detail is the foot operated exhaust whistle. She is currently fitted with a younger Amal carburettor and since she has been unused for almost 10 years recommission will be needed.