FN 1910 four cylinder 498 cc Automatic overhead inlet valves frame # 35903 engine # 237
To many enthusiasts the, Belgian built, FN four has always been one of the most appealing machines of veteran and vintage times.
Its production ran from 1905 till 1926.
The earliest type had a 362 cc engine with automatic overhead inlet valves and side exhaust valves.
The machine was single geared, had shaft drive and the top speed was about 60 km/hour.
The FN four was an immediate success and found customers all over the world; FN sold its machines in more than 40 countries.
It found many customers in the U.S.A. and made Americans interested in the four cylinder concept:
Percy Pierce purchased a 1908 model on one of his trips to Europe and the FN became a point of reference for the first Pierce Four in 1909.
The engine was redesigned for 1910.
New cylinders had twelve fins rather than eleven, the bore was increased to 52.7 mm to give 498 cc, and the exhaust pipes were now attached with two bolts to a flange in contrast to the earlier screw-on pattern.
The spark plugs were moved from the top of the cylinders to the right side between the valves.
The inlet manifold was substantially revised to site the new carburettor at the left of the engine between cylinders two and three.
The magneto was still the famous upside-down Bosch apparatus housed in front of the engine.
A nice touch was a fuel filter mounted on the seat tube of the frame.
There was also a new oiling system.
The only major change to the cycle parts was a long rebound spring on top of the front fork.
The 1910 model continued unchanged through 1911.
A 2-speed gearbox was sold as an aftermarket accessory by Horstman; many owners had one fitted and when FN brought out its 1913 model it was equipped with a 2 speed gearbox of very similar layout together with a well working multiple plate clutch which was available some years before.
This very original, only partially restored 1910 4-cylinder model is the basic type without gears and without clutch.
It was discovered with a Nordstjernan marked fuel tank which points to a Swedish origin as FNs were sold in Sweden under the Nordstjernan trade name.
The machine was found by an FN enthusiast some 30 years ago and has subsequently been recommissioned.
She is equipped with leather toolboxes on each side of the fuel tank carrying brass oilers at the front, leather knee grips, a brass bulb horn, luggage rack, fold-up rear stand and a beautiful acetylene head lamp.
The former owner completed many trouble-free miles on it in club runs and she is still going strong.