FN 1925 M50 750cc 4 cyl ioe 2812
FN 1925 M 50 750 cc four cylinder overhead inlet valve frame # 731 engine # 1297 P
To many enthusiasts the FN four has always been one of the most appealing machines of veteran and vintage times. Its production ran from 1905 till 1926.
The earliest type had a 362 cc engine with automatic overhead inlet valves and side exhaust valves.
The machine was single geared, had shaft drive and the top speed was about 60 km/hour.
The FN four was an immediate success and found customers all over the world; FN sold its machines in more than 40 countries.
It found many customers in the U.S.A. and made Americans interested in the four cylinder concept: Percy Pierce purchased a 1908 model on one of his trips to Europe and the FN became a point of reference for the first Pierce Four in 1909.
The design was developed to 493 cc and the machine got a proper clutch and gearbox in the years before World War One.
In 1914 the engine was completely redesigned: it grew to 750 cc with mechanically operated inlet valves. Both inlet and exhaust valves were side valves.
The machine had a sturdy clutch and a three speed gearbox. Shortly after the first world war we saw another design change: the side valve inlet system changed to overhead again.
In the autumn of 1923 the model M 50 was marketed: the machine got chain drive and the flywheel was enclosed by the crankcase, to name a few new features.
But the days of the FN four were almost over now: the new and successful 348 cc OHV single M 60 was much cheaper and almost as fast.
At the end of 1926 M50 production came to an end. Only some 780 units were produced during the model`s lifespan.
This older restoration FN Four is in excellent working order.
It was sold new in Switzerland and is fitted with Amac carburettor, 400 x18 Continental tyres and Swiss ED speedometer.