Griffon 1914 2 3/4 HP 330cc side valve V-twin frame # 56921 engine # 3554
Griffon is one of the oldest French makes: it was founded as a bicycle company and motorcycle production started in 1902. The factory was situated at the Rue Louis-Blanc in Courbevoie, Paris and for many years this make was in the foreground of French motorcycle manufacture. The firm was established in 1898 by Eugène Peugeot who had fallen out with his cousin Armand. The word “Griffon” translates as “Griffin”, the mythical animal typically having the head, forepart, and wings of an eagle and the body, hind legs, and tail of a lion. An interesting hint of Armand to his Peugeot family members it would seem…
After Eugene’s death in 1907 the family relations became better and Griffon even used Peugeot engines in its late veteran period models. In the nineteen twenties Griffon was absorbed completely by the giant Peugeot conglomerate. Griffon was very active in racing in the years before 1910 and their famous racing men Lamberjack and Demeester won many victories on Griffon-Zédels. In the early years Griffon machines were relatively expensive because of the import duties on the Swiss Zédel engines; from 1906 they were made in a new factory in Pontarlier, France and became less expensive. In the 1914 range no less than five V-twins were presented, two with Zédel engines and three with Griffon’s own power source.
The 2 3/4HP model we offer here was presented in the sales catalogue with Griffon engine, but probably it is a Moser engine. She is fitted with Bosch Magneto and Longuemare carburettor. There are two brakes fitted on the rear wheel pulley, one hand operated, the other foot operated. The front forks are of the Saxon type and accessories consist of acetylene front lamp and tyre pump. This Griffon is presented in very well preserved original and authentic condition and is a good runner.