Harley Davidson 1919 “19F” 989cc IOE V-twin combination engine # 19A4569
The first V-twin Harley prototype was displayed at the Chicago Motorcycle Show in February 1907, but it wasn’t until 1909 that the first twins were for sale; officially they were still considered prototypes and only 27 were sold.
The engine had a capacity of 880cc and had atmospheric intake valves.
The standard colour of these machines was Renault Gray with carmine striping.
The engines were not as good as the company expected so for 1910 no twins were offered and further development work was done.
In 1911 a new engine was presented with 811cc capacity and IOE configuration.
This proved to be a sound design and it was developed further year after year.
In 1912 a bigger, 989cc engine was an option and in 1913 the 989cc engine became standard.
In 1915 a three speed countershaft gearbox was fitted and in 1917, the first year of war for the U.S., olive green became the standard colour for all Harley Davidson machines.
The twin could be ordered with magneto ignition (“F”) or battery and coil ignition (“J”).
Changes to the valve gear led to extended valve overlap, resulting in significantly more power. The output now was 14hp @ 3,200 rpm.
Compression ratio was relatively low at 3.75:1 (3.5:1 for sidecar models) and the unladen weight was 160kgs.
For model year 1919 only minor changes were made, notably to the clutch and the handlebars, that were 2½ inch wider than earlier models.
In all 5064 “F” machines were manufactured in 1919. (Source: “Harley Davidson, all the Motorcycles 1903-1983” by Matthias Gerst.)
This combination, a very well presented older restoration is equipped with Bosch magneto, acetylene lighting system with “Segic New York” alu headlamp and hand press Klaxon.