Harley- Davidson 1925 1212 cc IOE vV-twin frame & engine# 25 FDCB 4847
It took the Harley-Davidson Co. about 12 years to develop their motorcycles from a single cylinder belt driven single 3 HP machine to the 45 degree V-twin with 3-speed countershaft gearbox that was marketed in 1915.
This sturdy 989 cc (84x89mm) machine became a popular choice for motorcycle buyers all over the world, private enthusiasts as well as police forces, postal sevices and other government bodies.
The OHV inlet, side valve exhaust concept was used till 1930, when HD chose the full sidevalve engine concept.
In the early twenties a 1212 cc version (bore x stroke 87.4×101.6mm) was brought out.
Model year 1925 looked completely different from the older models: a new type of frame caused the saddle position to be 3 inches lower than before, the wheel were smaller in diameter and the petrol tank got a “ dynamic” teardrop shape.
All in all these new models looked much more modern than their predecessors.
In 1925 Harley Davidson sold about 15,000 motorcycles, more than 60% of this output were 1212 cc models.
Most of them were equipped with electric lights; no more than 433 FDCBs with standard acetylene lighting were sold that year.
This sturdy machine is complete but not restored.