Harley Davidson 1939 “U” 1209 cc side valve V-twin frame # PMM-6008-PS engine # 39U1839
In 1930 the Model “V” came on the market to replace the F-head models J and JD.
In the beginning there were serious problems with the design but once these were ironed out the new model gained a good reputation both as a solo mount and as a sidecar puller.
The “V” range was produced from 1930 till 1936 in capacities of 1217 and 1293 cc and the machines were available with many specification details.
For 1937 the Big Twin range was redesigned: frame and cycle parts of the newly introduced OHV ‘Knucklehead’ were used as the basis for the new 1209cc and 1303 cc models U and UH.
An important new feature was the introduction (finally!) of dry sump lubrication.
Some of the new styling features for the 1939 model year were the newly styled ‘cat’s eye’ instrument panel and stainless steel mudguard tips.
A new technical feature was the extended intake manifold designed to enlarge the distance between carburettor and cylinder heads.
The 1939 factory brochure description of the 74” Twin says “The acknowledged leader in side-valve motorcycles, the 74 Twin enjoys the distinction of having been chosen by more riders than any other make or model on the roads of America today.
For solo, sidecar, Package Truck, pleasure, police and commercial use, its enthusiastic owners are legion.
Its powerful, quiet motor will deliver still more horsepower and still greater owner satisfaction and longer trouble-free service because of such 1939 advancements as steel-strutted pistons, oil-control piston rings, equalized cylinder lubrication, improved manifold, perfected valve spring covers.
In common with the 61OHV and 80 Twins, changes in clutch design have been incorporated that make for smoother clutch action, minimize clutch slippage, and assure easier shifting.
” This good-looking touring giant comes in a pleasant colour combination and has been nicely restored.