Harley-Davidson 1950/1958 E/FL “Hydra Glide” 74 cu 1207cc OHV V-twin frame # 50E1056 engine # 58FL3194
For 1948 Harley went into full revision mode when the venerable Knucklehead was succeeded by a new model that featured aluminium heads and distinctive “cooking pan” rocker covers, hence its “Panhead” pet name. Oil lines were internalized and hydraulic valve lifters adopted for greatly reduced rocker noise and easier maintenance. The engine was available in 989 cc capacity as model “ E” and 1207 cc capacity as model “F”. Harley’s first hydraulically damped telescopic front fork, the Hydra Glide, gave its name to the new model range. It was fitted from 1949 on. The machine we present here spent much of its life in Bolivia and was imported into Germany in the early nineties. At some time in the past the original 1000cc engine was changed for a younger (1958) 1200cc power source. With the machine comes a file of bills, showing a total amount of more than 5000 euros for restoration and maintenance costs. Accessories include leather studded pannier bags, a chummy seat and crash bars (not currently fitted). The machine is in good overall condition and is a great runner.