Harley-Davidson 1958 FL “Duo Glide” 74 cu 1207cc OHV V-twin frame & engine # 58FL2597
For 1948 Harley went into full revision mode when the venerable Knucklehead was succeeded by a new model that featured aluminium heads and distinctive “cooking pan” rocker covers, hence its “Panhead” pet name. Oil lines were internalized and hydraulic valve lifters adopted for greatly reduced rocker noise and easier maintenance. The engine was available in 989 cc capacity as model “ E” and 1207 cc capacity as model “F”. These engines were now the only big twin engines, as the side valve models had been discontinued. 1953 marked the end of the 61 cubic inch engine leaving only the 74 cubic inch FL series as the main engine group.
In the Autumn of 1957 Harley made a big leap forward when swinging arm rear suspension was introduced. The two-coil sprung rear suspension units were hydraulically damped and gave rise to the “Duo Glide” model name. With a compression ratio of 7,25:1 and an impressive power output of 57hp@5200rpm the 240kg FL could reach a top speed of 155km.
This road registered machine is finished in the Black/Birch White colour scheme and has been professionally restored. She comes with front crash bars and side lamps. A wind shield and a pair of studded leather bags are available as well.