1918 Humber 6 HP 745 cc water cooled flat twin combination frame # H 3627 engine # 3616
A Coventry firm with its roots in the Victorian bicycle industry, Humber begins experimenting with powered transport in the closing years of the 19th century, introducing its first successful motorcycle -a built-under-license P&M – in 1902 and the first all-Humber design in 1908.
A 500 cc side valve, this new 3 HP model carries its engine in the conventional position and features belt drive to a two-speed rear hub.
V-twin and flat twin models follow and in 1915 a new water-cooled 6HP flat twin is introduced, with bore x stroke of 78 x 78 mm.
In 1916 another new model is introduced, an air-cooled 3 ½ HP flat twin with bore and stroke dimensions of 68x 68.75 mm.
The new 6 HP twin is intended as a sidecar machine and it is the first Humber with a countershaft gearbox.
It has three speeds and two neutral positions and is of Humber’s own design and manufacture.
The big flat twin engine has valves and seats in detachable housings, a 21 lb external flywheel, American Splitdorf magneto and Zenith carburettor.
Lubrication is by Best and Lloyd drip feed, the clutch is a foot-operated multiple plate device.
Only very few of these machines have been produced and survivors are very rare.
This machine comes with full history from new.
It was bought new by Mr. W. Sharp, a cycle maker and dealer from Worksop and he owned it till 1959.
Since then it had only a few owners and it has been part of a museum collection for some time.
The sidecar chassis is marked “ W. Sharp, maker, Worksop “ and has probably been made and fitted later.
This extremely rare and technically interesting vintage Humber has been restored with care and comes complete with original bill and paperwork.