Indian 1915 “Model E” IOE 500 cc single speed Racer engine # 49G647
Indian’s first, 38.61ci (633cc) v-twin appeared in 1907 with an engine clearly derived from that of the single, though mechanical inlet valves – introduced for 1908 – were an early improvement.
The twin’s rear cylinder continued to form part of the frame until 1909 when a loop frame of the type favoured by rivals Harley-Davidson was adopted.
The Springfield Company’s first ‘Big Twin’ debuted that same year displacing 61 ci (988cc).
By 1913 Indian was the largest motorcycle manufacturer in the world; the 1913 production was almost 32,000 machines.
There were 2,000 dealers all over the world and Indian controlled some 42% of the domestic motorcycle market in the USA, according to a company claim.
For 1915 some 10 models were offered. Most were twins, but the Model E was a single cylinder which was available in single speed, two speed and three speed versions.
One of the new features for 1915 was the use of Chrome-Vanadium steel tubing.
This Model E single speeder has been restored in racing trim with racing handlebars, racing type saddle, foot-controlled clutch and Schebler carburettor.
Output is some 7.5 HP.