Indian 1940 Model 440 1265 cc inline IOE four frame # 440775 engine # DDO 532
Early in 1927 Indian bought the entire assets of the famous ACE motorcycle corporation.
Indian proceeded to manufacture the Indian –ACE until 1928 when the Indian Four took its place.
The 1265 cc engine has overhead inlet valves and side exhaust valves and delivered in the late twenties form around 30 HP.
About ten years later this had grown to about 40 HP and tuned examples were known to put out some 50 HP! But with output also the weight grew: a 1929 4 would weigh about 455 lb, a 1941 model weighs 568 lb. For the model year 1938 a new engine was presented.
The cylinders were cast in pairs, the heads were made of aluminum instead of cast iron and they were removable.
The cooling fin area was greatly increased and a newly designed inlet manifold gave extra power. The valve mechanism was fully enclosed and automatically lubricated.
This new engine could be run at a consistent speed of 100 mph, yet could be throttled down to walking speed in top gear.
The styling of the 1938 models was also highly improved by the fitting of a tank-top instrument panel.
For the 1940 season the ultimate version of the Four was introduced. Most striking of the changes and improvements were the new skirted fenders with aluminum trim and the new rear suspension.
But there was much more: a sprung seat post, cushioned saddle, quick-start high speed magneto and combined jiffy and centre stand to name some.
Jiffy stands had been available for a number of years as bolt-on accessories, but 1940 was the first year that this item was standard equipment and built into the frame instead of clamped on.
The impressive machine has been restored some years ago and still in good conditionto .