James 1918 4 ¼ HP (600 cc) side valve single frame#10992 engine#9251
The James Cycle Company became a public company in 1897.
Then Harold James, the founder of the company, quietly retired from the scene.
When the first James motorcycle was marketed in 1902, Harold had already passed away.
The veteran James models were merely strengthened bicycles with Derby and Minerva engines.
Later on FN engines were used. The firm prospered and prior to world war one three successful models were produced: a light two stroke machine, a 4 ½ HP single and a 3 ½ HP twin. James supplied machines to the English, French, Belgian and Russian armies in the war. James continued making mostly four strokes in the twenties, but after 1930 the range focused on two strokes of less than 250 cc capacity. In the early fifties James came under control of the Associated Motor Cycles organisation and about ten years later production stopped.
This 4 ¼ HP (86×103) has been restored well and is equipped with full chain drive and 3 speed James gearbox.
The machine comes complete with acetylene lighting and Cowey speedometer