Martinsyde-Newman 1920 6 HP 680 cc exhaust-over-inlet V-twin frame & engine # E121
The British firm of Martinsyde was founded in 1908 when Helmuth Paul Martin and George Harris Handasyde went into partnership to build aircraft.
By the end of WWI Martinsyde was Britain’s third largest aircraft manufacturer, occupying sites at Brooklands and Woking.
Faced with a sharp downturn in demand for its products, the firm turned to motorcycle production at the war’s end, having acquired the rights to an exhaust-over-inlet engine, designed by Howard Newman, and an AJS gearbox.
Problems caused by unsatisfactory fame components having been overcome, Martinsyde motorcycle production got properly underway in 1919.
The company’s first machines, powered by Newman’s 680cc v-twin engine, were marketed as Martinsyde-Newman, which was abbreviated to simply Martinsyde after Newman’s departure.
Smaller, single-cylinder models were added to the range and Martinsydes began to feature in competitions, achieving some successes at Brooklands and at the Scottish Six Days Trial.
Sadly, a disastrous fire in 1922 destroyed the works and Martinsyde went into liquidation, its name and remaining stock being acquired by BAT.
The last complete Martinsyde was sold in 1923 and today few examples of the marque survive.
This rare Martinsyde-Newman has had one owner for over 40 years.
The last owner acquired the machine, which was in complete but unrestored condition, from a farmer in Aberdeenshire.