Matchless ca 1909 6 HP 770cc JAP side valve V-twin combination engine # 6273
The first Matchless motorcycle was made by the Collier brothers in 1899.
Manx TT and other competition results were very good for Charlie and Harry Collier and this gave a boost to the popularity of the make.
In the veteran period JAP single and V-twin engines were used and the 6 HP twin was eminently suited for sidecar use.
The combination spent most of its life in Australia, where it was discovered in the sixties and subsequently restored.
At some point in time, most likely before WW1, a 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub gear was fitted and this makes the machine very rideable compared to the original clutchless direct drive system. Magneto is Bosch, carburettor Brown & Barlow, saddle Lycett “La Grande” and tyres Dunlop 26 x 2 1/2 .
The combination features nice and practical period accessories such as Miller front lamp and generator, P & H rear light, bulb horn, rear view mirror and Jones speedometer.
The light and comfortable wickerwork sidecar comes complete with tonneau cover