Morgan 1938 “F Super Sports” 1172cc four cylinder side valve Ford engine frame # F500 engine # 100E 601056
H.F.S. Morgan quit the Great Western Railway in 1904 and co-founded a motor sales and servicing garage in Malvern Link. In 1909 he designed and built a car for his own use. Previously he developed the first independent front suspension in the engineering shop of Malvern College. He began production a year later and the company prospered. Production of three wheelers approached 1000 by WW1 and quickly resumed with both racing and touring models. Morgan’s first four wheeler came in 1935 with three wheelers phased out in 1952.
In the early thirties a line of Ford-engined models was brought out. For obvious reasons the new Ford engine could not be mounted forward of the front cross tubes in the same way as a V- twin so the whole chassis was re-designed, abandoning tubular steel in favour of Z-section pressings riveted together. The front sliding pillar suspension, gearbox and rear suspension could, however, be re-used.
The first F Type was a family model F4 fitted with the 933cc 8hp Ford. This car is still recognised as the most practical and versatile three-wheeler ever to leave the factory. It could bowl along at 60mph on the flat although going uphill was more of a struggle. The F4 was joined in 1936 by the more sporting, two seater F2, which has the optional 10hp 1172cc engine, providing a useful boost in performance.
In 1938 the F Super Sports was brought out. It was a complete restyle with new main chassis and shorter, wider and lower body. The windscreen could be folded and mostly cycle type wings were fitted. The unburstable 10hp motor upped the cruising speed to 65mph with more available when required. The longer wheelbase and the centre of gravity shifted backwards made them feel different to drive but the handling was well up to Morgan standards. Sadly, production ceased in 1952.
The Morgan we present here is an older restoration restored and has been maintained in good technical condition. She was first registered on June 30, 1938. The original engine was replaced a number of years ago by a postwar version, the 100E. The early engines did not have a water pump as standard, instead relying on thermosiphon cooling as the Model T engine had. A water pump was added in 1953 for the 100E models when the engine was re-engineered to the point that few specifications are identical between the early and the later series. Quite a few Morgan enthusiasts had this 100E built in, certainly those who frequently used their three-wheeler. Other practical improvements on this machine are the fitting of electronic ignition and Girling hydraulic brakes, making it an easy starter and reliable runner. Our Morgan comes with an extensive file with bills, notes and literature. Video: https://youtu.be/B3lvoTgqpVg