Motosacoche 1912 M5 2 ¼ HP 290cc side valve single frame # M45737 engine # MV 23459
In 1899 the brothers Henri and Armand Dufaux from Geneva, Switzerland, design a little four-stroke engine. This compact unit can be bolted into the frame of any ordinary pushbike: The “Motosacoche” -which approximately means “engine-bag”- is born! Very soon the quality and practical utility of the invention becomes known even far beyond the Swiss territory. Gradually the engines grow bigger and more powerful, twin cylinders are produced and the initial idea of a motorized pedal-bike is given up. The factory builds complete motorbikes under the “Motosacoche” label, but keeps on selling M.A.G. (Motosacoche/Acacias/Genève) engines to many well-known and less well known manufacturers in various countries. The first model has a capacity of 212cc and is put on the market in 1901 and is designated “A 1”. It has battery and coil ignition and an automatic inlet valve and is marketed from 1901 to 1910. The A1 evolves into the M1 that is equipped with magneto ignition and is sold between 1908 and 1910. It is superseded by the MT. This model is available from 1910 up to and including 1913. The 226cc MT has bore x stroke dimensions of 62x75mm and can be bought as a loose engine set or as a complete motorcycle with sprung front forks. The last model that still has the engine in a subframe is the 240cc M4, introduced in 1910. This model does away with the atmospheric inlet valve system and has the full side valve concept. In 1912 the machine we present here, the M5, is introduced. The cubic capacity goes up again to 290cc and the subframe is now abandoned.
This well-engineered light motorcycle is an older restoration. She is fitted with the correct large and comfortable saddle, a beautiful “Germania” motorcycle acetylene lamp and a practical belt tensioner. Accessories include a handlebar-mounted pocket watch, bulb horn, tyre pump and leather spare belt or tube case.