Motosacoche 1914 500 cc IOE V twin frame# 11489 engine# 2 CX 38038
In 1899 the brothers Henri and Armand Dufaux from Geneva, Switzerland, designed a little four-stroke engine.
This compact unit could be bolted into the frame of any ordinary pushbike: The "Motosacoche" -which approximately means "engine-bag"- was born! Very soon the quality and practical utility of the invention became known even far beyond the Swiss territory.
Gradually the engines became bigger and more powerful, twin cylinders were produced and the initial idea of a motorized pedal-bike was given up.
The factory built complete motorbikes under the "Motosacoche" label, but kept on selling M.A.G. (Motosacoche/ Acacias/ Genève)-engines to many well known manufacturers in France, England, Germany, Austria and Italy. In France and Italy there were even factories producing Motosacoche motorcycles under licence.
This 1914 machine is in good original condition. It is equipped with American Dixie magneto ( probably due to problems with getting Bosch equipment because of the war), Amac carburettor and Lucifer electric lighting set. Note the rear wheel driven dynamo.
There is a hand crank starter with two speed gearbox and all-chain drive on board this quality machine.