Motosacoche 1919 “2C10 B” 500 cc IOE V-twin MAG frame # 18035 engine# 2C10 43312
In 1899 the brothers Henri and Armand Dufaux from Geneva, Switzerland, designed a little four-stroke engine.
This compact unit could be bolted into the frame of any ordinary pushbike: The "Motosacoche" -which approximately means "engine-bag"- was born! Very soon the quality and practical utility of the invention became known even far beyond the Swiss territory.
Gradually the engines became bigger and more powerful, twin cylinders were produced and the initial idea of a motorized pedal-bike was given up. The factory built complete motorbikes under the "Motosacoche" label, but kept on selling M.A.G. (Motosacoche/ Acacias/ Genève)-engines to many well known manufacturers in France, England, Germany, Austria, Holland and Italy.
In France and Italy there were even factories producing Motosacoche motorcycles under licence. This well-engineered machine is fitted with an Enfield-type 3 speed gear and free engine through an expanding ring clutch.
It has automatic lubrication and is started by hand starter.
There’s a Bosch magneto on board and the mixture is controlled by a British AMAC device.
Petrol consumption is 3 ½ litres per 100 kilometres, top speed is 90 km/hour and the motorcycle weighs about 100 kg.
This handsome Motosacoche comes complete with Luminor headlamp and has been restored a number of years ago.