New Hudson 1914 499 cc s.v single “Model IIIA” frame # 6717 & engine # 3350
New Hudson were already well known for their quality bicycles when they marketed their first motorcycle in 1903.
No further motorcycles were marketed till the end of 1910, when the company presented a three model motorcycle range at Olympia: a 2 ¾ lightweight with either direct belt drive or with Armstrong 3 speed hub and a 3 ½ HP direct drive machine.
Eric Londesbrough writes in his New Hudson history:
“On all three models, the front forks were of Druid pattern and the braking system was cycle type on the front and a belt rim brake at the rear.
The cycle parts were painted black and the tank was two tone brown, establishing a basic colour scheme which, with a few variations, would last for several years.
The famous New Hudson badge showing the strong arm of the industry projecting from a castle tower and holding a hammer, appeared on the tanks.
This badge seems to have been derived from the coat of arms of the City of Birmingham, in which it can be clearly seen.”
For 1913 the 3 ½ HP models were available as IIIB with direct belt drive from the engine to the rear hub gear and IIIA with countershaft drive.
Both models were fitted with a kick starter near the rear hub.
For the 1914 model year only minor changes were effected, such as an improved gear lever and quadrant and a Best &Lloyd sight drip feed lubricator on top of the petrol/oil tank.
This practical and very rideable veteran, fitted with comfortable aluminium foot boards, has been restored and is in fine shape.