Norton 1933 “ES 2” 500 cc OHV frame # 51107 engine # 56901
The ES 2 was Norton’s second OHV model; the Model 18 was brought out in 1923 and for the 1928 season a new model OHV was marketed, based on the successful new OHC racer that would be marketed as the CS 1.
The new OHV was designated ES 2; it was basically the pushrod Model 18 engine , but with its pushrod return springs enclosed, hence Enclosed Springs 2.
We may wonder if there also was a ES 1 design; possibly the ES 1 model name would resemble the CS 1 too much and therefore the ES 2 was more discriminate, but that is just a guess.
The design was improved step –by-step through the thirties: it got a four speed foot-change gearbox, rubber-mounted handlebars, fully enclosed and positively-lubricated valve gear and new cams with flat followers for quieter running.
For 1939 plunger rear suspension was available as an optional extra. After WW2 the model got the new Roadholder telescopic fork and plunger rear suspension as standard. In 1953 ( the year of the AMC merger) swinging arm rear suspension was available and the ES 2 got a featherbed frame in 1959.
In 1963 the last ES 2 left the production line – at Plumstead, not Bracebridge Street – after a development history of 35 years.
This well-restored 1933 machine has quickly detachable and interchangeable wheels and is equipped with the optional foot gear change.
This Norton was purchased new at the Hewett Brothers in Hove, Sussex by a Mr. Grover, who had a filling station in Piltdown, East Sussex, UK.
He owned the bike till 1960 when it was sold and subsequently restored in the 1990ties to its current, splendid condition