Norton 1936 Model 40 “International” 348 cc OHC single frame# 67076 engine # 6128
The Norton Inter story started as far back as 1927, when Walter Moore (formerly the Douglas chief designer) created the first Norton overhead camshaft engine with bore and stroke dimensions of 79×100 mm, giving 490 cc capacity.
Straight from the drawing board it provided Alec Bennett with a TT victory in 1927.
Known as the CS 1 (Camshaft Senior one) it was listed as a production machine for the 1928 season.
The smaller 348 cc version ( 71×85 mm) was known as the CJ (Camshaft Junior).
By 1930 Moore had left to work for NSU in Germany and for the TT that year Arthur Carroll , his successor at Bracebridge Street, redesigned the camshaft engine.
With this design Norton started its incredible run of success in road racing.
For the 1932 season two types of road going race replicas were listed as the “ International” in 348cc and 490 cc capacities. These machines were equipped with Amal TT carburettor, racing magneto and close ratio four speed gearbox with foot control.
Year by year small improvements were made.
Detail modifications for 1936 were: slightly more ground clearance, steering damper fixed directly to the frame for more rigidity and a front brake adjuster that could be operated while the machine was in motion.
Later in the thirties the Inter got hairpin valve springs and after the war “Roadholder” telescopics and plunger rear suspension were added.
This super sports machine has been restored and is a good runner.
It has been sold new in South Africa and has been built to Manx specifications.