Rolls Royce 1936 Model 25-30 4257cc 6 cyl ohv 3402

34,950.00

Description

Rolls Royce 1936 Model 25-30 4257 cc 6 cylinder ohv chassis # GRP19 engine # G22Z

The 25/30 was produced from 1936 till 1938 as an updated version of the 20/25 with larger engine to provide more power. Over-large bodies had often been fitted to the earlier model which led to complaints about its performance. The in-line 6-cylinder, overhead-valve engine is similar to that used in the 20/25 but increased in capacity to 4,257 cc (259.8 cu in) by increasing the bore from 3.25 inches (8.3 cm) to 3.5 inches (8.9 cm), with the stroke remaining at 4.5 inches (114.3 mm). The compression ratio is 6:1. A single proprietary Zenith downdraught carburettor replaced the Rolls-Royce one, and magneto ignition was no longer fitted, but a standby coil was provided.[1] The four-speed gearbox is mounted in unit with the engine, and a traditional right-hand change used. Synchromesh is fitted to third and top gears.
The riveted chassis has rigid front and rear axles suspended by half-elliptic springs with hydraulic dampers. Braking is on all four wheels assisted by a mechanical servo, famously under licence of Hispano-Suiza. Separate rear brakes are fitted for the handbrake. The traditional Rolls-Royce radiator with triangular top was used with vertical louvres, the opening angle of which is controlled thermostatically to control engine cooling.
Only the rolling chassis and mechanical parts were made by Rolls-Royce. The body was made and fitted by a coachbuilder selected by the owner. Some of the most famous coachbuilders who produced bodies for Rolls-Royce cars are Park Ward, Thrupp & Maberly, H. J. Mulliner & Co., Arthur Mulliner and Hooper. In all 1201 25/30 cars were produced. (adapted from Wikipedia)
The dignified automobile we present here has a body by the firm of H. J. Mulliner & Co. from Chiswick. It’s a Weymann body, a construction developed and patented by Charles Terres Weymann in France. The system uses a patent-jointed wood frame covered in fabric. It was popular on cars from the 1920s until the early 1930s as it reduced the usual squeaks and rattles of coach built bodies by its use of flexible joints between body timbers. It also improved performance because of the body’s light weight. The car has been partially restored in the past, but the fabric covering and the interior are still in presentable original and authentic condition. She is an unmolested fine runner and comes with luggage trunk, photostat copy of handbook and current Dutch registration.