Rover 1921 “ TT” 499 cc side valve frame# 47115 engine # 8803 TT
In 1921 the Rover management decided to take part in the TT races in the Isle of Man.
The company had been experimenting with an OHV engine and it was planned to use that engine for the racers.
Owing to the short time available for trying out before the Isle of man races it was decided to use a more conventional engine. Basis for the racing side valve engine was the well- tried 3 ½ hp touring machine.
Externally the only visible difference from the standard engine was the timing gear spindle driven Best & Lloyd oil pump that delivered oil to the side of the cylinder. Internally more changed had been made: the moving parts of the engine had been considerable lightened and the bearings strengthened.
The gearbox was of the close-ratio type and a kick- starter was not fitted.
Two brake pedals operated the internal-expanding rear brake and a Binks carburettor was fitted to control the mixture.
The petrol tank had extra large filler openings with quick-release caps.
The riders Brandish, Elliot and Collard formed the Rover team in the Senior races on Thursday 16 June. Walter Brandish gave the best performance and came in 13th. . It is believed this machine is one of these TT machines.
It found its way to Scotland and was used on the road till 1939.
It was restored a number of years ago but was stored under unfavourable conditions.
It could do with some spit and polish but the engine is very powerful and still shows its racing potential.
The old logbook still shows registration number GA8004, same as the machine shown in the factory brochure depicting the then used racing machines.