Royal Enfield 1951 Twin 496cc OHV frame & engine # T2095
Launched at the end of 1948, Royal Enfield’s 500cc Twin followed orthodox lines, though the use of separate barrels and cylinder heads and the oil tank is incorporation within the crankcase – a feature inherited from the firm’s singles – was unusual in British twin design. Bore and stroke of the cylinders was 64 x 77mm and the new Twin was equipped with a new spring frame with swinging arm and Enfield rear damper units. Both brakes had six inch diameters and the Twin was finished in attractive grey enamel, with chrome plated tank with frosted silver panels and red & blue lining. From model year 1950 a neat highly polished cast-alloy fascia was fitted that enclosed the upper section of the fork legs and was moulded to take the Smiths speedometer. This attractive and well restored Twin has a current Dutch registration and is all ready to go.