Scott 1934 498 cc “ Flying Squirrel” two stroke twin frame # 3793 M engine # LFZ3951
Bradford-born Alfred Angas Scott’s experiments with two-stroke motorcycle engines began in the closing years of the 19th Century.
The first complete Scott motorcycle followed in 1908, its twin-cylinder engine, two-speed foot-change gear and all-chain drive marking it out as an exceptionally advanced design for its day. Light weight, ample power and sure-footed handling thanks to a low centre of gravity were Scott virtues right from the outset. Like its major rivals, Scott was well aware of the publicity value of racing and the allure of models with a TT connection, so the adoption of an optional full-frame tank, like that of the works racers, for the new Flying Squirrel was not surprising.
Launched at the Olympia Show in 1925, the ‘Flying Squirrel’ came in 498cc and 596cc capacities, the latter being the most expensive machine in the range.
In the 1930s the ‘Flyer’ took on more of a touring role, being further updated with detachable cylinder head, Brampton forks and a foot-change gearbox.
This Flying Squirrel has matching frame and engine numbers and was despatched from the factory on 22nd February 1934 to Roland Smith of London NW3.
The engine was rebuilt in 1992 .
Unusually, the gearbox has a foot-change end cover that has been converted back to hand change.
This Scott can be described as a honest machine fit for everyday use.