Triumph 1924 “LW” 249 cc two stroke engine # 11399 ORU
Triumph's 500cc machines were high and somewhat difficult for a lightly built person to mount and handle, even with a clutch in the hub of the rear wheel.
So Triumph decided to manufacture something more suitable – the Model LW – Light Weight.
This idea might well have originated from Siegfied Bettmann's partner, Mauritz Schulte, or even Schulte's daughters, for the three daughters enjoyed riding behind Work's Testers and when the Model LW was produced Schulte took one home for his eldest daughter and claimed to have made the first order. (Not 'made the first sale', because doubtless he wouldn't have paid for it!)
The Model LW, also known as the Junior, and nicknamed the 'Baby' for it was the baby of Triumph's models, broke new ground for Triumph as they had not produced a two-stroke engine before. However, Triumph 'got it right' and with its low weight, ease of (paddle) starting and the low saddle height the model gained immediate popularity amongst District Nurses, Ministers of the Church, and schoolboys with wealthy parents! (The legal minimum riding age in those days was fourteen.)
Initially the Model LW engine was of 225cc capacity, and although it had a diminutive 2-speed gearbox there was no clutch or kick-start. (A clutchless gearchange was achieved by a swift opening of the engine's pressure relief valve.)
For its last three years the engine capacity was increased to 250cc and a clutch and kickstart were added.
Production continued during the 1914-18 war years for the Model LW was also used on war service. Manufacturing competitors and owners of products of those other motor cycle manufacturers, claimed that the Model LW was nicknamed 'the Baby' because it never went anywhere without its rattle! ( source: Peter Cornelius. For more details, technical information, performance figures, and much more, you can refer to the very informative booklet Peter has written covering this model.
The Baby Triumph we offer here has been restored a number of years ago and is a good runner. The engine suffix refers to September, 1924 which means it’s equipped with the more powerful “Mark II” 249 cc engine and practical kick starter.