Triumph 1939 “ Speed Twin” 498 cc OHV vertical twin frame # 2559 engine # 40-5T-24561
In 1936 the Triumph Cycle Co. that had been struggling for a number of years, was taken over by Jack Sangster and renamed Triumph Engineering Co.Ltd.
Edward Turner became the new Works Manager and he immediately started to rationalize things: he reduced the range of machines, but kept the excellent bottom end designs of the Page designed singles.
The “Tiger” range was introduced in September 1936 for the 1937 model year.
There were three models: the 250 cc T 70, the 350 cc T80 and the 500 cc T 90. Apart from the bottom ends, everything was new.
There was a new, compact gearbox and a new, enclosed valve mechanism.
The brakes were improved and the oil pump was given a larger capacity.
The machines had compact frames and silver and blue enameled tanks with chrome panels.
Attention to styling was always a strong point with Turner: the Tigers looked good and they were good and this new range of machines helped Triumph back to the top.
In September 1937 the range was expanded by a revolutionary new design, the “Speed Twin”.
The press is elated: the machine is relatively light, handles and steers excellently, is very powerful and not overpriced.
And it’s good looking too, in its dark red “Amaranth” color setting.: the “Speed Twin “ will become the first of many successful Triumph twin models.
The engine delivers 28.5 HP @6000rpm at a compression ratio of 7:1. Top speed is more than 90 mph and the machine weighs 360 lbs.
This elegant and sporty machine has been restored some time ago and is still very presentable.