Wanderer 1917 504 cc 4PS “Heeres-Modell” V-twin side valve frame # 330 engine # 20438
Wanderer motor cycles were manufactured in the German town of Chemnitz between 1902 and 1929. The Wanderer company also built high-quality bicycles, typewriters, mechanical calculators and cars. In the early twenties the firm employed more than 6000 labourers. Wanderer motorcycles had an excellent reputation; they were sturdily built and their finish was first class. The company used both single cylinder and 46-degree V-twin engines of their own manufacture. Between 1914 and 1918 the German army used many Wanderers, they were designated as “Heeres-Modell” or “army model”. This 1917 army machine with bore and stroke dimensions of 65×76 mm has both front and rear suspension and two speed hub gear with free engine position. Lubrication is effected by a mechanical pump in the engine and an auxiliary hand pump in the petrol tank. There were two models available, one with footrests and pedalling chain and a type with footboards and kick-starter coupled to the rear hub. The machine we present here has the footrests and pedalling chain and is an older restoration that is fully authentic. The only newly fitted part is the small magneto cut-out button on the handlebars. She comes with Bosch magneto and Lucas acetylene headlamp. There are two brakes on the rear wheel, an internal expanding type that is operated from the handlebars and a belt rim brake that is connected to a foot lever. An extra tool box with additional small oil and petrol can is clipped to the handlebars. On the tank top tube we find the levers for the clutch and the two-speed gear. An interesting Wanderer feature is the belt tensioning system, that is operated via a small handle on the left of the tank top. By turning the handle the engine pulley is moved forward or backward, thus changing the tension of the v-belt.
This rare WW1 survivor is a good runner and a practical vintage machine.